View Single Post
Old 16th February 2010, 05:44 PM   #10
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Gentlemen,
I don't have the slightest problem in bowing before the supremacy of your knowledge.
Many thanks to our esteemed "Jimpedia". After such great analizis, i wouldn't dream of considering for the slightest moment that, the assembly of these hilt and blade, were invented by the seller to better dispatch the set to a naive client .
I have been focusing on all the symbols, trying to figure out differences and their possible interpretations.
No doubt the martial items are there: the drum is clear, some poles that could be spears or flag staffs? ... even a cannon, if i am not fanthasizing; this overlaped by the cloud armed sword. Certainly i agree with the Islamic manner of it, both because the scimitar look of the sword, as for the solution of avoiding Alah to be depicted, assuming the attributed symbolism is correct.
Worthy of note is the counterposition provided by the guys situated in top whom, judging by the wings, leave no doubt that they are angels; and for the first time i discern differences between depiction on either blade side. One angel has his mouth turned down, as if he was in a bad mood, while the other is clearly showing his teeth in a naughty smile.
Symbolic meanning or the the engraver having some fun?
Fernando

-
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote