View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:02 PM   #39
motan

Hello again,
Yes Kubur. I agree with you. It is very possible that production started earlier, I just don't have proof. It is rare to see Majdali type daggers in a book. Can you produce a larger picture? Dates on old Majdalis is quite common, but consistently start at around 1900. See first picture - clearly 1318 Hijri - 1900 Gregorian.
Bob A, this is indeed the very same dagger. Artzi says in his site that they are all from Majdal Shams. What I think is that the ones he sells are indeed all from there, but other production sites do exist. Good ones are becoming rare, so a good purchase.
Colin, yours is a good and old example of the heavy blade - oval hilt type, but the decoration style is slightly different from most, with many vertical elements on the hilt. I have seen several and they may be from one workshop. I have no idea what it says about their origin. A similar style in pic 2
Stuart, yours is indeed a unique example, probably made on special order. Very high quality work and an a-typical but very good scabbard in Ottoman style. Straight blades are known, but rare. I know you don't have it anymore, but do you happen to have a good picture of the back of the hilt? It is signed by the maker and I think I know who he is - Iskander. This workshop made top-notch pieces in the round handle/fullered blade style. I recognize the decorative element in the middle of the hilt. I have seen several signed examples - see pictures
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote