View Single Post
Old 15th March 2021, 07:26 PM   #18
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis
Hello Phillip, your latest posts make me wonder if another gun i have is in fact Italian with an ottoman barrel, or it is actualy a turkish copy of teh Italian design... The lock looks turkish from your examples.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22029

You have an impressive collection of these things! Thanks for linking me to the other thread, I have already posted a dissenting opinion with pics in regards to comments made by someone else.

I am looking thoroughly at the images you posted on that thread, and for the sake of addressing your questions directly, am bringing up some points on this thread, so perhaps readers will get an added perspective on the general topic.

I believe that your lock is European but very early, a transitional model of perhaps the mid 17th cent. I attach a photo from W Keith Neal's classic Spanish Guns and Pistols of a very rare early Spanish miquelet, he assigns a 1640 date to it. You will find some parallels to yours with the profuse and well-executed filework on the parts (Mr Neal's example has deco in the style of the gunsmiths of Ripoll, Cataluņa). AND of course the characteristic "bridge" that was to become normal on Eastern miqs but soon vanished from Europe. However, your lock, with the graceful "swan neck" curve to the cock's neck, is more Italian in flavor, I see it repeated on other early transitional snap locks from north Italy, and it's quite common on the later "Roman" style miquelet common in central Italy. Ripoll gunsmiths preferred a short, straight, column-shaped neck on the cock.

Further, the buttstock of your gun shows distinct Brescian style. But please see your other thread for my discussion of this, so readers will not get confused.

There is no question about the barrels, they are of Ottoman or Balkan make but the tulip muzzle is a stylistic imitation of something that originated outside of Italy. So far, I've only been able to pinpoint England as its origin and area of popularity (and this, for a short period of time only based on surviving examples).
Attached Images

Last edited by Philip; 15th March 2021 at 07:36 PM.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote