Thread: Interesting dha
View Single Post
Old 14th July 2014, 07:02 PM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Hi Ian,

I should make my position with this knife in the original post clearer as the use of the Kachin has clouded the conversation about it somewhat.

Firstly the age of the dha in question should be looked at, it is modern. I quantified modern previously and I don’t think I need to repeat modern throughout the points I make below as the whole knife is of modern times.

The dha knife must then be looked at in modern context as there is nothing antique about it and it is too far removed from antiquity to draw too many parallels other than what is at face value.

The specific, plain brass and white type of banding in this style and placing on the scabbard is Burman. They are seen on the longer Burman sabre type and are seen on the longer Burman kachin blade type.

The blade type, starting at the root is a Burman blade. The spine and fuller speak volumes in this respect.

The tip we can go back and forward on many times but my opinion is that it was made this way.

If it was a shortened sword it most certainly was reforged rather than reshaped and broadened in the belly and a piercing tip added.

I would consider the tip and handle as a smiths or owners personal preference rather than a modern sub category.

I think it is too far a step to consider Malay for the handle when the Hmong are so much closer in culture and location.

Personally, the Lanna attribution is not added value, it only clouds the waters when speaking outside of the Lanna kingdom time frame. Trying to be so exact on one hand but not on such a critical aspect of classification is amiss.

It would be much more appropriate to express, especially when discussing research of an item to name the culture and locality as you did. Referencing Lanna can be done when referring to a specific item or design from the period.

Back to the scabbard fittings manufacture and the specific flat crude modern type that they are.

These are 95% on the time found on Burman proper swords and Burman Kachin blades types mentioned above.

To follow a massively consistent aspect surrounding the scabbard fitting type having such a relationship with these two Burman blade types it would be fair to say the knife discussed is Burman with specific cultural influence added in the hilt and blade tip. The types are so plentiful in the market place and in collections that it must have been quite a manufacturing centre to pump out so many.

The Shan aspects and sword presented should be held for a separate discussion as it is from another time period altogether.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote