Thread: Interesting dha
View Single Post
Old 12th July 2014, 05:40 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Interesting dha

This auction just finished and I wonder if one of our Forumites is the new owner.

The knife/sword appears to be from a cut down longer dha/daab blade. There is a ferrule that runs all the way through to the tip, and it appears that the tip has been reworked into a tapered point in the fashion of many Burmese, Thai or Cambodian knives.

The handle is unusual. It has a brass ferrule with some vegetative designs, and an hexagonal horn handle that flairs towards the end. The hilt has a partial tang. The shape of the horn hilt is reminiscent of Malay hilts, and I think it is most likely from southern Thailand.

The scabbard, however, is in a well described Lanna/Shan style and therefore of a northern Thailand origin.

So we appear to have a marriage of conflicting styles, and I would say that the sword/knife and its scabbard did not start their lives together.

I cannot confidently assign the style of vegetative decoration on the ferrule to a particular group. Perhaps someone else can provide some more precise guidance and identify the origin of the changes made to this dha.

Ian.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote