View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you.
The Solingen markings indicate of course that this is a German made blade, which in the 19th century were prevalent for export to most countries.
The single carrying ring on the scabbard suggests latter 19th century date as a rule, with of course likely exceptions, and the hilt seems German or Austrian.

The tip is a spear point style, which often is seen on sabres as after the Napoleonic period there was a strong debate on whether cut or thrust was the more effective use, as well as the search for blade form effective in both.
During the Napoleonic Wars, the British cavalry swords were typically of 'hatchet tip' form with heavy profile radiused tips for slashing cuts.
Just before Waterloo, the Scots Greys were ordered to grind down the backs of their blades on the heavy straight swords into spear points.
The French cavalry was typically ordered to 'give point', and even the light cavalry with sabres often charged with swords held at high tierce position for thrusting.

While at the moment I cannot check resources for better references and this is what I can think of offhand , I am hoping others here might respond with better answers.

I appreciate you posting this here...interesting sabre!

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote