Thread: Unknown firearm
View Single Post
Old 25th January 2023, 12:07 PM   #10
milandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILGERS View Post
Does anybody have an idea of the era of this gun?
I am not sure that one can affirm without any doubt that this is an ancient made weapon But hand cannons (which this is) are very old indeed , however their use extends to modern days too

"....Cannons are attested to in India starting from 1366.[33] The Joseon kingdom in Korea acquired knowledge of gunpowder from China by 1372[34] and started producing cannons by 1377.[35] In Southeast Asia Đại Việt soldiers were using hand cannons at the very latest by 1390 when they employed them in killing Champa king Che Bong Nga.[36] Chinese observer recorded the Javanese use of hand cannon for marriage ceremony in 1413 during Zheng He's voyage.[37][38] Japan was already aware of gunpowder warfare due to the Mongol invasions during the 13th century, but did not acquire a cannon until a monk took one back to Japan from China in 1510,[39] and firearms were not produced until 1543, when the Portuguese introduced matchlocks which were known as tanegashima to the Japanese.[40] The art of firing the hand cannon called Ōzutsu (大筒) has remained as a Ko-budō martial arts form.[41][42]..."
So, I would call this a small hand cannon
Some of these, In Japan, are contemporary made. I am not saying that your piece is, but It doesn't apart to be hundreds of years old.
Assuming it is a functional weapon (?) it may be a relatively old weapon or a more modern reproduction.

Last edited by fernando; 25th January 2023 at 06:10 PM.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote