View Single Post
Old 7th September 2013, 10:33 PM   #82
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Exactly Stu, and realizing that the curved kattara was of course off topic, I tried to address that aspect as well as trying to express my views toward the dancing/combat etc. issues.

I also personally pretty much detest the unfortunate term 'fake' , especially in the world of ethnographic arms. While obviously there are commercial exploitations of many distinct weapon forms which are made explicitly to be hawked to wide eyed tourists. However there are many examples of such forms which are modernly produced as part of the traditional costume and accoutrements worn in accord with local customs, and made observing established traditional guidelines. This is at least the understanding I have in many accounts I have been made aware of with these kinds of circumstances.
It does seem that in this context, often tourists will try to purchase a weapon actually being worn by an individual, in thier hopes of acquiring an 'authentic' traditional weapon over a 'bazaar' piece from off a display table. At least temporally they feel they have acquired an item from the tribal context which they are attempting to 'experience. In such cases, the individual who relinquishes his weapon for sale simply replaces it. While industriously off center in degree, the weapons themselves do have also in degree some level of interpretive authenticity.

It would be incredibly naieve to assume that many weapons are not indeed produced expressly to be hawked in bazaars or shops for the less adventurous or time constrained souvenier hunters. Again, as collectors, I think that there can never be too much knowledge at hand, and it is incumbent on that collector to be wary of these conditions and of course caveat emptor.

Again to the topic at loggerheads...there can be no doubt that weapons (regardless of term, in this case the Omani broadswords long generally termed as 'kattara') used in pageantry events have been produced expressly for that purpose. It does not seem inconceivable that equivilent examples of said type might have been produced as combat or military arms. As I noted, by the same token, the availability of imported trade blades or already mounted examples certainly might have become used in certain cases in these pageants.
What has been said is that the inflexibility of certain blades would in most cases impair the key element of the exhibition of swords, being the undulation and movement of the blades and thier effects. Again, certainly there might be cases where fully functional combat level bladed weapons might have been used.

In my own opinion, I cannot see where there must be hard and fast rules or circumstances dictating which swords by nature of thier blades must be confined to specific use by the varying degree of blade flexibility. Obviously in cases of extremely flimsy blades, they would serve poorly in actual combat, but as these are slashing weapons in a secondary use situation it seems they might have served for lack of better weapon.

These situations would be toward much earlier instances as in more modern times, the use of guns and bayonets would be of course in place in combat circumstances, and there would be no place for such traditional swords.
This then would again look toward this discussion at hand, and it would seem clear that in earlier times, there were indeed combat swords and lighter ceremonial swords of the straight blade, cylinder hilt form.

It is duly noted that at present, and in more recent years, examples of these same form swords have been produced, whether to serve as implements in the pageantry described or of course, in the cottage industry of weapons for souvenier hunters and unwary collectors. In my impression, there are apparantly some artisans and dealers who perform refurbishing of some of these sword forms using authentic components and traditionally observed methods of restoration. As long as properly described and presented, these I believe are not within the again unfortunate, 'fake' classification, and should be accepted by collectors for exactly what they are.