View Single Post
Old 6th October 2023, 11:42 PM   #17
C4RL

These are old images hence the photobucket stamps as I cannot find the originals.

The first image is of three hatchets that belong to an elderly gentleman I know, they are hung on his garage wall and are especially nice because they belonged to his father-in-law & were used up until he finished working. They are all 20th century carbon steel cast heads despite looking centuries old. I can & will take new photos of these when I next see him & ask about a time frame.
(Going a bit far off topic the first time I spotted them I told my friend quite confidently "the handle on the big one is upside-down", we tapped the handle out as they are all "slip through fit" & found it didn't fit the non round eye the other way up" it was only when used in an imaginary "pruning an overhead olive tree branch" air swing that it made sense & I had to eat my words!..... All home made handles, obviously to suit a purpose).

The next photo is what at first glance could look like two old blacksmith made "wrap" forged heads? In fact only the top one is a blacksmith made wrap & old, the lower two are later cast carbon steel heads, the smallest one still being available to buy new.

I think most of the axe images I've posted can be found by shape in reference books, drawings & paintings but many of these (shape) heads were made up until fairly recently & some similar shapes are still being manufactured.
The way they were made & the steel they are made from are the best indicators of age.
Attached Images

C4RL is offline   Reply With Quote