View Single Post
Old 20th June 2005, 10:18 PM   #10
B.I

i'm glad you were all impressed, although i would be both shocked and disappointed if you werent.
the last sword is from siam and apparantly made for umberto 1st (?).
outstanding andrew and ian, giorgi dondi dates the siam sword to circa 1897
ive had the catalogue for the museum for some time, and my girlfriend booked a surprise trip to the turin for me to see the museum. unfortunately, she didnt realise it was closed for refurbishment.
i was in contact with the author of the the catalogue and the museum director, but it was a weekend and there was no way they could open it up for me, although i have been promised full access should i go back on a weekday.
the author, (giorgio dondi) did come into turin and spent the whole day with me, showing me the fabulous city. we exchanged gifts and struggled through the language barriers, but he gave me the text of the catalogue on disc, (as well as his latest book), so i could get it (badly) translated online. if anyone can speak italian, i can put some of the descriptions up.
giorgio is a researcher and spent much time with the pieces from this collection, and so the desriptions seem well thought through and very thorough. the catalogue i have was from a temporary exhibition on oriental arms and it lists 36 pieces, all of which were fully researched and described.
aqtai, they do indeed have some very important ottoman armour. i only have one image, unfortunately, which i will try and post soon.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote