View Single Post
Old 26th May 2005, 04:06 PM   #12
B.I

i agree with andrew, and there is nowhere i would trust with my collection. again, this wasnt a moan about institutions, but a summary of the way things are at the moment.
there is always hope that things will change, and the 'ray of sunshine' rick offered proves that.
its all about generating an interest that goes past the already enthusiastic enthusiast. with our interest comes history and its in this history that the answers may lie in getting the general public on board. the cost of organising new exhibitions are ridiculously high, when you consider the hassle involved in museum loans etc. but, when one happens that concerns arms, you realise the decision to do this must be based on an interest that exists.
the oakshot institute is a great example of how things should be.
unfortunatley, ewan was an institution in himself and thus uncommon but we can all hope that we will all wield such prowess in the academic world one day :-)
also, his passion for his studies was well known, and so it would be hard to stifle his name now. his collection was almost secondary to the legacy he left behind.
i am glad everyone feels the same way. i said it was a hard post to write, for i knew i was in fear of giving ammunition to fire at institutions, which i really wanted to avoid. i should have had more faith :-)
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote