View Single Post
Old 9th June 2010, 02:35 PM   #14
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default better uses for olive oil...

Philip's appetizer recipe sounds delicious but, naturally due to my origin's influence, a generous drizzle of olive oil on boiled (dried) cod fish and potatoes, makes it the dish of Gods .
I take it for myself that, cleaning an old rusty sword, blade and hilt, unless done by a professional restorer, is always an adventure.
I hear that olive oil was already used by Romans in their blades. Evidently, despite their mighty possibilities, tey didn't have at hand all this derusting and conservation paraphernalia that we find nowadays.
Searching in the Forum for the term 'olive oil', one can find quite a few threads where this resource is used or adviced.
I have used olive oil in a couple pole arms and swords (after being adviced) and it looks fine. Naturaly i am talking about conservation and patination; the said weapons, although being early items, had no active rust to deal with.
I admit olive oil may have its inconveniences; maybe not so hazardous that we can't leave with. Well, we even eat it .
This not meanning that modern stuffs are not better, by all means. More a question of those who fancy following the line of tradition; old weapons, old systems ... old fashion look .
Fernando

Last edited by fernando; 9th June 2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: paragraph completion.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote