View Single Post
Old 30th March 2019, 03:07 PM   #30
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Regarding nicks in a edge, here are pictures from a Mindanao kris in my collection which has several nicks in the edges. From what they shall originate when not from edge to edge contact? Only a sharp and hard edge would be possible to let such a damage in a fighting blade IMVHO.

Regards,
Detlef
Hi Detlef, the following possibilities come to mind with regard to your kris:

1. It may have been used by one from the non-Muslim tribes.. This has happened quite often in the past, especially with the BangsaMoro's open trading policy with some of the Mindanao tribes like the Bagobo and T'boli. There have been many instances when kris (usually the straight ones) were even re-hilted with the non-Muslim tribes' signature hilt, an indication that it was traded in or sold to the tribesmen.

2. It may have been a captured piece and used by a non-Mindanaon (or even non-Filipino) elsewhere in the war.

3. Quite unlikely, but it may have been kept in a weapons locker on a bumpy transpo ride and gotten the nicks from other blades. This has happened to at least one antique blade which was previously in my possession.

I can't emphasize enough how the BangsaMoro frown on edge-to-edge contact. They regard their blades not only as weapons but as cultural artifacts of the highest order; if I remember correctly, my MFA instructor even said that direct blade work / non-blocking / non-blade-to-blade contact was ingrained to them as deeply as their aversion to pork.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote