Thread: It's in a book.
View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2018, 04:57 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

I have it now and it is rather nice, heavy and very much a club. It is beautifully finished with no trace of file marks just the random carving scratch marks one would expect to find. Clearly there is not the deep brown patina of the much loved mid 19th century clubs. However who really knows why and when these things were created, also who knows when they were collected {how old they are at the time of collection} and how well they have been kept until in your hands. I think it best to say this example is pre 1940s. Do not let that make you think it was all over for traditional weapons on the Solomons, kastom has not vanished. The design is most accomplished with the shark form morphing into a beaked face and masterful placing of fine cut shell. Following the killing of colonial governor William Bell in 1927, when groups of islanders were dispersed traditional weapons were left scattered around. I show it with a few other shell decorated pieces left in my possession 9 in total. IMHO this example knock much Ulas into a cocked hat at a 10th of the price and 10 times less common.

Also if you have not already viewed this pdf you can now.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/pdf/Malaita_online.pdf
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote