View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2016, 05:04 PM   #18
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

HERE IS ANOTHER FORM OF CLUB FROM THE REGION INCLUDING GUIANA. THERE IS MORE VARIATION IN THIS FORM OF CLUB THAN IN THE PREVIOUS HOUR GLASS SHAPED FORM I HAVE REFERRED TO AS MACANA.
#1., #2. & #3. AN EXAMPLE SAID TO BE FROM THE 18TH. CENTURY
#4. & #5. GUIANA / NORTH BRAZIL 25.5 X 4 INCHES
#6. & #7. & #11. PICTURES IF A COLLECTION OF THIS FORM OF CLUB FROM TIM'S POST AN AMAZON CLUBS SEE FIRST LINK IN THIS POST FOR MORE INFORMATION.
#8., #9.,#10 . MAQUIRITARE TRIBE 29 3/4 X 7 3/4 INCHES, UPPER CAURA RIVER, SOUTH VENEZUELA,COLLECTED BY MISSIONARIES 1950
#12. YEKUANA TRIBE, VENEZUELA 30 INCHES LONG. THIS IS A MORE RECENT CLUB OF THIS TYPE. NOT SURE IF VENEZUELA IS ITS ORIGIN BUT IT WAS LISTED AS SUCH.

BELOW IS A HELPFUL QUOTE FROM THE POST COVERING THE EXCEPTIONAL COLLECTION OF THESE FORMS OF CLUBS.

The hour-glass ones, you mean the Aputu?

They're mainly from the Carib and Arawak tribes. Caribs including island Carib, Kali'na, Ye'kwana, etc. and the related Makushi and other groups. The whole Guianas region had these clubs (French Guinana, Suriname, and Guyana).

I'm not sure about carvings or painting or designs denoting rank or tribal affiliation but I do know in more recent times there have been ones of poorer quality for tourism, or smaller seemingly less combat effective ones probably for dance... but all the really old ones seem at least 15-16" or a little more and made of quality hardwoods.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 23rd September 2016 at 10:29 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote