View Single Post
Old 4th March 2005, 07:53 AM   #1
Conogre

Default CAUTION!!! Irianjaya "mandaus" are back

This is for new members who might be interested in Indonesian, Borneo or Headhunter spears, shields and swords.....use caution on pieces that you aren't familiar with, more than ever!!!
Every so often swords, spears and shields from Irianjaya appear, always made very distinctive by the bright brown and yellow scalloped pattern painted on the sheaths, sheilds or spear shafts and liberally adorned with teeth, beads and feathers hanging from them in large numbers.
If you like the look and want a known tourist item for your collection, they are definitely attention getters, but some sellers invariably offer them as bona fide artifacts, usually from Borneo, but also from every other jungle country in the world and often at VERY high prices.
While "let the buyer beware" is always sound advice, in the case of these that should be taken quadrupley.
I was hoping I had some old photos of various ones that I've sold at low prices, but alas, they're all gone. ( hint)
Oh...the technology has advanced to the point that now many of the carved bone or horn hilts are actually plastic treated to look like bone, and likewise the "teeth" are also now commonly cast plastic, and even with some of the blades made of aluminum or pot metal, something that may not show in a photo.
One last word of caution....I sold one and was awakened by a telephone call in the middle of the night from the California postal authorities who wanted permission to open the package.....it seems that at least some of the native twine used to tie on the teeth, beads and feathers is hemp, and although it's legal, it still sets off the drug dogs!!!!
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote