View Single Post
Old 17th June 2016, 02:28 PM   #10
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Jean, i'm sorry, but to my eyes the pics of the keris you have posted look nothing at all like Marcus' keris.

However, I have given my opinion, I have nothing to add to it, and we are all entitled to our own opinion.

EDIT

Sorry Jean, I misunderstood your post #7 I think.

Yes, the blade you show is very probably Madura.

The wrongko you show is not kayu sono, I don't know what it is, but Marcus' wrongko is almost certainly sono; I've handled a lot of this wood, and grain and colour of Marcus' wrongko is very much sono, it is not stained.

Re the blade, I'm not at all sure it is a recent blade, from the photos I simply cannot tell, but the style of the carving does not resemble anything I've seen as recent production from Madura.
Thank you Alan. The wood species on the top part of my wrongko seems to be purnama and the bottom part berore pelet, this is a common combination in Lombok. I attach the pic of another kojongan kris from Lombok with such wood combination on the scabbard, and a naga blade which looks original to me. Incidentally, one experienced collector reminded me that old naga blades are always wavy, what do you think?
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote