View Single Post
Old 18th December 2020, 01:30 AM   #19
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
I agree
Please tell us how you worked the silver and where you find the spare pieces!
Thanks
Well, the top part of the silver work I used patterned wire, wire I triple twisted myself, and used sheet silver underneath.

Regarding the bottom of the filigree section, well, I used sheet silver and soldered pattern wire on top. When it comes to the silver pieces, I had to make those from scratch. Let me explain. I had to make different sizes of individual little silver balls. Then I had to make twisted silver wire rings of different sizes. The diamond shaped silver pieces I cut from silver sheet. Taking square wire and twisted wire I made and soldered the "petals" of the large flowers and then the balls and wire rings on top. I also soldered the rings onto the sheet then placed the other components on top. In honesty, I did use some balled beads and some pre-twisted wire rings in some parts, but the majority I had to make by hand.

The big catch to this work, besides patience and time to make every single component (with a couple of exceptions), is making sure that the components are completely soldered without melting the pieces, or melting holes into the sheet beneath. So the right heat and type of flame applied is crucial. And finally the type of solder is important too.

TVV - you are right. I did a lot of research not only in style of Balkan (Focha Bosnia to be specific) but also in comparing Russian, Yemeni, and Mexican filigree work. Yemeni was the closest, but no one is demonstrating, instructing, or showing how to do Turkish (or traditional Bosnian) filigree work. So I had to also create my own techniques.

Bob A - you are right in that I also took this as an opportunity to learn to make filigree, something I had no idea how to do originally.

I always want to increase and improve my skills. Now I may add filigree jewelry to my sales. Nice since I also taught myself chasing, repousse, soldering, wood carving, and metal inlaying into steel.

Thank you folks!

Is there anyone who can translate the inlay inscription?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote