Thread: Voodoo doll
View Single Post
Old 19th November 2008, 02:53 PM   #28
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
Hi David maybe not black voodoo in Haiti but it is not where the voodoo come from,
in Afrika a lot off black voodoo .

Ben
Ben, you are missing a key distinction in this discussion, that is between the religion that is Vodoun, and the black magick that might take place within the cultures that this religion exists. One of the main purposes of the Vodoun priest, whether in Haiti or Benin, is to protect his people from the black magick that is done within the community. This black magick is not Vodou. It is done outside of the religion. To say it is would be akin to saying that a pederast Catholic priest who is buggering an altar boy in the vestry after hours is somehow practicing Catholicism.
I am not arguing that sticking pins into an effigy doll to cause distress to another is not a perfectly viable and even effect form of black magick. I am not arguing that this isn't an age old practice which can be found around the world including Western European folk magic. What i am arguing is that such dolls should never be referred to as "Voodoo dolls". IMO Vodoun is one of the worlds great religions. To me, and the many friends and teachers that i have who are Vodoun initiates this is highly offensive.

Last edited by David; 19th November 2008 at 05:28 PM.