View Single Post
Old 26th January 2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Beautifully done on the assessment on this Iain, reflecting the outstanding core of knowledge you have brought to us regarding these fascinating Saharan weapons. What always truly amazes me is just how widely the 'West African' sphere extends into the Sahara, often linking the weapons of the west to those deep in Saharan and Sahelian regions, far from the 'coastal' associations often implied to West African attribution.

It seems interesting also that these geometrically based motif, in tribal concept especially with the cross or quadrefoil type floral, usually reflect the four cardinal directions, key in tribal folk religion and lore. The intermediate or superimposed petals or lines suggest subordinate directions also. The entwined feature also has many significant interpretations. I think one of the best books I have seen that illustrates and describes many features of the motif in African art and jewellery is "Africa Adorned" by Angela Fisher. The author has most impessive knowledge of many facets of the motif, such as the Agadez Cross and many others, with a wonderful and colorful presentation.

Thank you Stephen for posting this beauty!!! and Iain, as always for your outstanding insight.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote