View Single Post
Old 11th August 2014, 08:20 PM   #15
Roland_M

Hello,

thank you for the pictures, very useful for me.
I believe now for sure, that it is a reproduction. Not very well made and the patina is not real.
I have added one macro with traces of golden color. That is mentionable because the mace was covered with a thick layer of ugly and smearing bronce-color (picture 1). I spent one day for cleaning with a hard brush and 500 ml nitro-thinner (removes almost everything, including the plastic bucket and my bronchia) to remove the bronce-color. But some tiny spots of "color" were much harder to remove than the rest of the color, only by scratching. Then I discovered, that it is probably gold and I thought everything under the bronce-color is older, much older (picture 2).
It looks to me, that the gold or whatever is oxidized into the surface of the steel and this is the reason for my misapprehension. I have seen similar effects at very old items. That was the moment I begun to think that it is maybe authentic. If it is just color the nitro-thinner would have removed it.

Maces are normally no part of my collection, it was just a good opportunity.
It was never my intention to doubt the competence of the experts in this forum. I apologize if it seems so.

Best wishes Roland
Attached Images

Last edited by Roland_M; 12th August 2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: forgot my signature
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote