View Single Post
Old 8th August 2014, 10:24 PM   #8
Roland_M

Default more pictures

Thanks for all the answers, makes me really happy.
Here are some macro pictures and a picture of a mace in a german museum from the 16th century. The mace is hard to photograph because of the dark brown patina. Or maybe a very good job in artificially aging. The patina have a similar color like the nakago of my koto-tanto.
My mace have seven flanges, I forgot to mention this.
There are at least 4 of this lines from forging or casting on the handle, they are not straight and unevenly spread. I think it looks like overlapping layers, typical for medieval forging.
The eagle or phoenix heads are all different, 28 different heads, quite time-consuming for casting.
The flanges are separately welded to the handle.
It seems to be a work of the 20th century, made with traditional methods. How do they made such a wonderful patina job? I have a little experience in etching pattern welded blade steel and this was no acid. I am astonished, that modern blacksmiths can make such good jobs after traditional methods.
A nice detail, gently beaten with wood the flanges produce a wonderful bright and pervading sound. The best sound of a weapon I ever heared, including many movies.

Best wishes Roland

p.s.: I am from Germany and i hope, my English is good enough for the standard here. I give the best I can.
Attached Images

Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote