View Single Post
Old 11th August 2009, 09:39 AM   #3
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Calvary sword

Jim,
It had a straight single edged blade of which only the edge was only sharpened from the point to about half its length (and not very sharp at that). large wide fuller that ran the length of the blade with etchings. because of the blade's filthy condition we could only make out a crown, a star burst and the word provincial (or provinces) perpendicular to the length of the blade about halfway down. The blade was stamped at the ricasso (circular stamp with a crown and the word "proven"). Basket guard of cast bronze with a cast pommel, lower half of spiral leather with a single twisted pair wire running between the overlaps.
Scabbard was white metal with two attachment points the bottom of scabbard had a rounded hourglass plate attached (though the point had punched through it)
Not my field or I would have paid more attention, but he wanted like $1300+ for it so I didn't pay much attention
Of note is he also had a Fields breech loader - massive gun - probably 30+lbs with a caliber larger than any I've ever seen - stamped 1885 I believe. More of a hand held artillery piece than a gun
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote