Thread: Powder flask.
View Single Post
Old 17th September 2012, 01:44 AM   #1
estcrh

Default Powder flask.

I was looking for an Indo-Persian powder flask and found this, the owner had no idea what it was for sure and since it was very inexpensive I bought, any thoughts? Here is the description.

"Unique Asian(?) Container Flask Gun Powder Herbs Shot Estate Find. This is an estate find, and I'm not certain what it is. It is made of all brass with beautiful etchings, indicating Asian origin, but I'm not sure of anything about this interesting piece. It measures 4 3/8" long and is 2" wide at widest point. It has a cap that fits snugly inside, attached by a chain. The top is difficult to take off, and seals tightly when inside. There is a 30" brass chain also attached, probably to be used for hanging about the neck. I am unable to get a scan of the sides, and photos don't show it, but both edges have the "rope" cording that you see, and within those "ropes" is a solid 1/4" wide area with no etching. Not extremely heavy, but is very tightly made with sturdy seams. I have never encountered anything even resembling this item, but believe it to be quite old.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote