View Single Post
Old 15th October 2018, 10:58 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi shayde:

The odds of finding a genuine bargain for a Luristan axe through online sources must be exceedingly small given the large number of reproductions around. For that reason alone, I think yours is almost certainly a copy. I also think the finish on yours is not very consistent with what is shown in large museums from that period. To me it just does not look as though it has been excavated and is 3000 years old.

That said, I have only a basic understanding of ancient bronze artifacts, which is why I take advantage of online resources that show what are (presumably) authenticated items in reputable museums. This is especially true for Luristan bronze objects for which, as you note, there are a ton of copies floating round.

There is a nice article from the Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery (attached here) that shows many pictures of Luristan bronze artifacts which may be helpful in identifying the surface appearance of genuine objects. Photographs, of course, only tell a part of the story and there is no substitute for direct inspection. I would suggest that you take your axe head to a reputable museum and ask for a professional opinion.

Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Luristan Bronzes.pdf (2.60 MB, 891 views)

Last edited by Ian; 17th October 2018 at 10:03 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote