Thread: Arab? Musket
View Single Post
Old 9th September 2018, 05:55 PM   #25
rickystl

What an interesting Thread. Great reading and photos.

So there seems to be some agreement here that Snowman's gun is probably of Coorg origin. After looking through Elgood's and other reference books, this does make sense. Notice the wood cresent shape butt cap on Snowman's gun was an intentional, Arab style addition, as it's held in place with screws or nails. Otherwise, the original butt stock shape looks like it would be similar to Bandook's gun.
I agree with Kubur that the barrel looks older. Persian or maybe Ottoman. But this would not be unusual. We see the reuse of older barrels often with these guns.

The use of leather/fur wrapped butt stocks is still somewhat of a mystery to me. Somewhere, I once read that the leather with the exposed fur (wolf?) was used to ward off evil spirits. But the general consesus is that the leather was applied to help reduce the gun's recoil. Which, I guess, is the more logical explanation at the moment. But here is what I find curious: If you shoot muzzle looading shoulder guns with normal charges of black powder, the recoil is less than that of a typical, modern high power rifle. And the heavier the barrel, the less recoil. Of course, with heavier charges of powder increases the recoil significantly. But I can't imagine them wanting to waste powder in this fashion using double plus the typical amounts. Although there is plenty of evidence that the barrels made for Torador guns were designed for heavy charges of powder. Maybe it was just common the use of heavier powder charges in the attempt to get longer range for the projectile. So I might be answeing my own question here. LOL

The cresant shaped wood butt caps seem to be an Arab styling alteration. Notice the three pics Stu posted of the Arab dancers. Some of the guns have this same wood cap, while others have the additional leather/fur wrap. To me, the wood caps seem more of a traditional styling exercise than anything else.
Here are a couple pics of original P1853 British Enfield rifles that are Arab/Omani decorated. Notice the butt stocks were altered to receive this style of wood cap.
So it makes one think that Snowman's Coorg gun may have seen eventual use somewhere in the Arab territories (?)

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote