View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 07:48 PM   #45
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Maybe you guys are wanting the blade to have something which is just not in it!?!?! Does a laminated blade make the kris so much more. . . . .???

>I know I may be striking against most folks opinion here, but from my opinion a laminated blade is most often just visible even before etching. Though many are of the opinion that any layers in iron (or imperfections) becoming visible by etching must be laminating.

Reason of this note; we are all just temporarely owners of these antique pieces, as after our death (or before) we will pass them on to the next owner. As has been done before we got these antique pieces. And extreme etching does efect the iron as it eats certain ingredients away (forever).
Sorry, its not my intention to sound like a schoolteacher or so, but as collectors of antiquities one does/should have responsibilities
The "etch" which most folks do on Moro blades can barely be called an "etch" at all. If there is erosion to the blade i would call it almost indiscernible for the most part. It is generally done with vinegar which is an extremely mild etching agent and is usually done with a brush a method, not left to soak for any long period of time that might do damage to the steel. There has been some question in the past about whether this was actually done traditionally, though frankly i have seen no definitive answer to that question. But for the most part Indy, you are worrying about nothing here. I have etched Moro kris, found nothing particularly attractive, and then simply gave it a light polish to bring the blade back before etch appearance (only a bit cleaner). Sometimes you can do this form of "etch" and reveal a magnificent pattern. I have not noticed any particular lose of metal in this process and don't feel that i have at all damaged the blade for future custodians. No one is talking about "extreme etching"on these pieces.
David is offline   Reply With Quote