View Single Post
Old 13th February 2024, 10:50 PM   #24
survtech

Default Weapons collecting thoughts

One often reads that Nicholas-Noël Boutet was, “arguably, the finest gunmaker the world has ever known". This, of course, is not true, Lepage, Aubron, JB Laroche, Jean La Roche, Chasteau, Pirmet, Gosset, Manceaux and many others produced equally magnificent firearms.

The mounting of their arms at Versailles is certainly excellent and the carving of their stocks is most beautifully conceived; but their barrels are not fitted in that workmanlike manner. They are also very inferior to my countrymen in the art of browning and in the construction of their locks.

The above observation, read without context or a reference to the utterer, could leave the student of arms with an incorrect view on the arms produced by the Versailles Manufactory.

When one realises that the comment was made by visiting Englishman, Colonel Thomas Thorton, when English/French relations were stressed due to imminent war, one realises that the comment was churlish and biased.

My wife commented that antique firearms (probably also weapons in general) seem to be the domain of old geezers, or perhaps to put it more delicately, the hobby attracts an older demographic (I am also 76).

Thinking about your quoted comments regarding Boutet-versus-Lepage; I think it is important for future generations (who may rely on us older collectors for information) that we do not let our personal biases colour the facts.

I think it is important that we quote a reference when making controversial statement such that the student can evaluate the likelihood that one or more of the Logical Fallacies are not in play.
survtech is offline   Reply With Quote