View Single Post
Old 7th May 2019, 08:27 PM   #9
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Jean, Minangkabau keris are not my area of concentration. In fact i have no examples presently in my collection. So i am curious about identification. Many Minang blades i have seen are of the anak alang of keris bahari form, but i have seen others that are not. I do understand what Kai is saying about the bold pamor being somewhat Palembang-like, but i believe i can recall also seeing some Minang examples having bold pamor even if most do not. But when you dismiss this as being a Minang blade, can you explain your criteria so that we can better understand your reasoning?
Hi David,
I am not totally dismissing that the blade could be from Minang origin but I find it very unlikely: As you say many Minang krisses are fitted with either a straight bahari blade (the origin of which being generally assigned to the Riau province), or a shorter rustic style with 3 luks. Both types of blades have no clearly visible pamor pattern.
I have attached pics of 2 typical specimens of these blades and I have several similar ones.
The blade from Sirek is totally different as it is longer and has a clear pamor pattern and an elegant dapur with ganja iras which is quite common in South Sumatra.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote