View Single Post
Old 8th May 2011, 06:21 AM   #7
ThePepperSkull

Thanks for the info, guys. This broadening of my collection is going to kill my wallet. I can already tell.

I originally planned on only collecting pira (of the later shape) and what, on these forums, is known as "Archaic Kris" (or kris from the 18th century. I recently bought one off of a certain Mr. Farrow, but that's for another discussion), then I ran into this gunong and had to have it. Already I'm having trouble limiting myself!

I think it was either Kai or Battara who said this, but I think my goal now is not to have a BIG collection, but a good collection. So if it is varied or eclectic (or seemingly random) in selection, at least they will be very beautifully crafted examples of blades made for whichever particular region and time.

I think this particular gunong more than fits the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I agree with the others. I would guess at 1900 or slightly earlier for the blade, the hilt may be a little a little later. Yes missing the guard but etch the blade and I'll bet there is a lamination pattern in it.

One option is a coin. Another is to have someone make a guard with okir out of silver, copper, or brass with a scabbard to match.
Hmm.... I wonder who could make such parts? :P

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 8th May 2011 at 06:46 AM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote