View Single Post
Old 29th January 2016, 08:08 PM   #22
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Salaam Ibrahiim,

For me it's a star not a cross.
The star is a common symbol in Islamic lands.
One question, where did you find your previous document, the drawing?
Thanks

Kubur
Salaams Kubur,
The drawing is not initially attributed except that it appears as an image after searching for Omani Shield. In fact it is attributed to omanisilver.com only as a written reference not as a picture. From that reference it indicates it is from The commander of a French Frigate Capt Guillaine...in the mid 19th C. from his writing. see www.omanisilver.com

Star or cross... the Ethiopian version is called the Ethiopian cross though I agree it's a star shaped cross..Perhaps the shape mirrors the star cluster called the Southern Cross? Moreover my question is attached suggesting the link to The Ethiopian Cross..and perhaps to where it was manufactured.

In fact the question is virtually self answering as I note from Omani Silver.com Quote" Joseph Osgood in 1850 stated that many of these shields were turned at Zanzibar for Northern markets". Unquote....It can be seen that the shields are subjected to a turning or lathe effect cutting the essential grooves and ridges etc.I think therefor that more than one location was into making these shields and no reason why Zanzibar was not involved.....however, my point concerns the brass rectangles...Be they Ethiopian Crosses or what?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 29th January 2016 at 08:57 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote