View Single Post
Old 17th May 2023, 01:38 AM   #4
Forja Fontenla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
I am so glad to see this example, which has a distinct mark that has remained unidentified, and this is after thorough checks with every resource known concerning markings. It was first shown by BBJW in 2008, with I think 3 responses no info forthcoming.

In that thread it appears on a 'cutlass' with markings W I D C No.38
which is to the West India Docks in London. Here vessels embarking for West Indies and returning had goods being guarded by security personnel, the force was typically 100 men. The number clearly a rack number.

For those interested use West India Docks on the search bar and the three unsuccessful threads will appear.

As far as I could find, the F H initials on either side of the apparent mast on the 'vessel' ? are most likely to Friedrich Horster of Solingen (1825-1875).
What is odd is that he only used initials F H on his blades.

The cutlass in question seems to be c.1820s and likely later, which would coincide with the M1811 Blucher type saber here.
As noted, the Blucher pattern was used perpetually into the WWI period, however examples after mid 19th c. had notably lighter blades.

It is unclear why Horster would use this 'maritime' theme added to his initials and interesting that the device or mark might signify him catering to naval maritime clientele.

With that perhaps this might be a saber for such naval connection? an officers saber, or again similar naval security forces?
Apparently Horster had agency offices in England.

My next stop would be the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich.
Thanks Jim!
But how interesting!
Thank you very much for the info
Could this saber have belonged to the West India Dock Police?
https://british-police-history.uk/f/west-india-dock
Forja Fontenla is offline   Reply With Quote