View Single Post
Old 4th June 2006, 09:15 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Ariel,
Did not mean to imply that you were trying to provoke any controversy, just trying to reemphasize that sometimes comments with political reference do send certain readers off on such tangents, and we lose track of the original discussion. You do very well at observing and expressing yourself so please excuse my qualification of your comments I agree with your note that the societal circumstances certainly do impact the nature of weapons used and with regard to Zifir's original question, the manner in which they are used accordingly. An inexperienced or untrained peasant forced into action in dramatic circumstances would certainly wield a weapon in any way found possible contrary to those who regularly use such weapons.

Zifir,
Interesting detail on the term 'hendek' (=ditch) suggesting duelling in moat. Those type facts are fascinating examples often relating in many cases to colloquial terms applied to certain weapons, though obviously not specifically this instance. For example, in Balkans and Greece I have been told that the term 'karakulak' (=black ears?) is often colloquially applied to the yataghan (looking forward to you and Ariel's comments on this
As you note, the term 'fencing' does not necessarily apply to sword to sword combat, and as you have well explained, may be used to describe the general method of use of an edged weapon. Point well taken (no pun intended !

It seems the yataghan is one of those well known weapons that always is included in reference books on swords and edged weapons, but virtually no reference to history, development or use are typically included. The only book I know of that specifically applies to yataghans is
"Jataghane:Aus dem Historichen Museum von Kroatien in Zagreb"
published by the Landeszueghaus am Landesmusem Joanneum Graz in 1976.
I found it as Library of Congress holding NK6771 Y8 P 68 .
It is mostly a catalog with some text, not in English unfortunately, but lots of captioned examples in plates.
In Burton ("Book of the Sword", 1884 p.134) he describes the yataghan as having a beautifully curved line of blade which coincides accurately with ther motion of the wrist in cutting.

It would be interesting to see if more comments on the history and development of the yataghan might be brought forward here, in addition to hopefully anyone presenting possible resources for thier manner of use.

Best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 4th June 2006 at 10:46 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote