View Single Post
Old 11th October 2023, 07:57 PM   #17
Lee
EAAF Staff

Exclamation Antiques trade ethics

The scale of the disparity is surely relevant, 33,871x versus 66x (at asking price), as is the absolute amount of money involved! When a typical collector buys from a dealer, remember that the dealer is a professional and part of their profession is knowing what the things they deal in are and what they are worth. When our typical collector has acquired superior knowledge and gets a really good deal, well then, yeah for the collector because it usually does not flow that way. I think though, in the position of being the professional, a dealer does have an obligation to be 'honest' with a "civilian" seller.

A very significant international antique arms dealer told me the story of his purchase of an item that I acquired (at a good markup) and the essence was that he knew that he could quickly place the object and made an offer at least an order of magnitude greater than other offers that had preceded it. He indicated that being willing to pay a fair price brought much more merchandise to him, and often first refusal. Of course, the dealer in the account above made so much there would be little need for future respect in the community, though he would not want me on a jury.

As to patrimony issues, decades or centuries later we cannot really know what the actual terms of a transfer were. But many of the diverse items that have found their ways into great museums and collections may not otherwise have survived if left in their place of origin and (hint, hint) we are not going to debate this contentious issue here.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote