View Single Post
Old 4th October 2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Hi I'm blown away just now but here goes. This may well answer Ibrahiims quest to see if such a hilt exists. It doesn't show the Elephant ivory turning type marks. I'm sure it's Ivory and has some indications that it may be Walrus. It's heavy the knife weigh 250 Grns or about 10 ounces. The seller purchased it in 2006 at an antique shop in the Muscat Souk. The back of the sheath looks like it had a utility knife at sometime.

The back of the hilt has a lot of glue residue at a like a crack repair the same area shows light honey comb shaped scales see closer to the smaller roe nodules in the ivory. What do you think I'll get more detailed photos.

Steve

Salaams archer Yes this is one of the styles of hilt seen in Oman. These days they are copied onto synthetic hilts as well see pictures below and at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=Baatinah Yours looks like Elephant and old going by the cracks and patina .. it seems.

There is no knowing when this Khanjar got its hilt but that it is quite normal for an upgrade to have taken place and certainly Muscat souk are capable of doing that..

The belt looks like it was custom made since the design is sympathetic to that of the Khanjar below the 4 ring belt.

The back of the Khanjar gives away the fact that a silver plate adorned the item... Was this a silver plate on this Khanjar or on the one before....?

The wear to the leather on the back shows some holes that could evidence a work knife and scabbard...now long gone.

So what is it? This is the traditional 4 ringer Omani Khanjar with an outstanding Ivory Hilt and all fashioned in the style of "Baatinah" work; The vast coastal strip running from Muscat through Sohar.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 4th October 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote