View Single Post
Old 20th September 2014, 02:14 AM   #18
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
Jose, I think you would be the guy to ask whether the semicircular border motifs are done with a graver or a punch?
Time permitting, can you expand somewhat on why you've dated the blade as you have?
Sure thing: First the work done on the silver was done with chasing, stamping, and punch tools.

Second, the manner of the design of the okir on the silver I have seen on later rather than earlier pieces. Early work does not have as much empty space as later examples. However the style of okir appears to me to be Maranao (though Maguindanao work is very close).

Thirdly, the thickness of the silver plates I have seen on later pieces and not early ones. Early ones seem (so far) to be made of thinner sheets of silver.

Fourth, regarding the blade, it seems to have characteristics of older examples like the method of the tapering profile, the "spike" at the distal end of the blade (worn down). I have not seen (so far) later examples with these details.

Fifth: In addition to these points, the pommel section, and even to some extent the cross guard, appear to be in an older more traditional style. Also notice that the narra wood that this piece was made looks burled to me, again not often used by later pieces.

These are my thoughts so far.

However if anyone can show a different side, please educate me - I love to learn.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote