View Single Post
Old 12th October 2021, 05:44 AM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radboud View Post
Quick question for Jim and Bryce, does 'heirloom blade' have a specific meaning for you that I may have missed?

I was thinking in terms of 'this is the sword my father passed on to me from his service' rather than 'this is the sword my ancestors carried at battle X' the latter implying more age to the blade.

On another forum, Richard Dellar posted a photo showing two 1796 Heavy Cavalry swords from the same officer in the Scotts Greys (Undress and dress) that have Andrea Ferara blades on them. But as you point out Jim, the 1796 for Dismounted service has a leather scabbard. I suspect there is still a lot that is not known around the reasons some have steel scabbards while others have leather.

Cheers
Bas

Hi Bas,
The ANDREA FERARA suggests this blade has a 'heirloom' Scottish potential, as that name was a key tradition in the blades carried by Highlanders. It is understood that that term here suggests a family blade, but the implication is that it is from a Scottish source.

For me, I think my perspective has been based on the proscription of weapons in Scotland after 1746. The exceptions were those produced in less than Scottish tradition but following rudimentary form. I had been under the impression that the ANDREA FERARA 'brand' on blades effectively passed under these circumstances.

Dont get me wrong, this is an extremely attractive sword, and distinct anomaly. I had not been aware of the Scots Greys swords with Andrea Ferara blades posted by Richard Dellar, but would really like to see them. It makes perfect sense that with Scottish officers would wish to carry forth this marking tradition.
You note they are dress and undress, which suggests one is this boat shell and the other ''honey suckle' ?

The thing with the steel scabbards is that they were confined to field or campaign swords used by officers (sometimes selected examples of 'fighting' swords they chose) or obviously troopers swords.
For officers dress swords, to be worn at official events, levees, and dress occasions wearing dress uniform. The leather and brass scabbards were of course, 'dressy' but fragile.

My question was if this was a custom mounting of a heirloom (or other than usual) blade in this dress sword, and this hilt was chosen for such occasions..so it would not suffer damage on campaign, and scabbards were special made for such instances.....then why defer to a steel service scabbard which seems to be a regular M1796 heavy cavalry trooper or undress sword?

It is strictly meant in a 'devils advocate' posture, not to challenge the sword.
The examples you mention from Richard Dellar strengthen this being a sound example from a Scottish officer and increase my intrigue with this sword!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote