View Single Post
Old 29th April 2009, 11:51 PM   #5
TVV

Alex,

Thank you for your comments. I do not think there is niello on the hilt of mine, as the shapes are just engraved, but nothing has been blackened (for lack of a better term). It does resemble niello though.

One needs to keep in mind that during the 19th century significant numbers of Circassians were settled in the Balkans, and while most brought there weapons with them, some brought their crafts as well.

I would have to agree with you though on a possible Asia Minor origin, as in my experience, there are far more blades with rows of Turkish Ribbon from Anatolia than from the Balkans.

So when you say that these knives are Turkish/Ottoman, which part of the Empire do you have in mind?

As for the dating, I have to disagree, as mine example is dated 1834/35, and in the sold examples in Oriental Arms there are none dated later than the 1850s. This does not mean that such knives were not produced until the end of the century, but I am yet to see one dated towards the late 1800s. Of course, it is possible that the dates were incorrect and intentionally earlier than the time of manufacture, but this would make very little sense, as the difference in age would be relatively small - only a few decades.

Thank you,

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote