View Single Post
Old 13th August 2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi David,
It seems that Wallis & Wallis used to always include a parts section in thier auction catalogs (Lewes, England), though its been years since I saw one.
Clearly many of the individuals who restore swords have these items or access to them. Obviously like cars, many weapons that are beyond repair end up being used for parts. Years ago (maybe even still) there are collectors who collected just scabbards, or like with Japanese swords, only the tsubas were collected.
Many swords which are battlefield pickups or campaign bringbacks are incomplete. I once found the scabbard for my M1796 British disc hilt with matching rack number in a museum listing of holdings, but apparantly was 'deaccessioned' probably with other non essentials.
Many dealers may often have parts as they of course are often 'completing' weapon ensembles.

These are probably the most likely sources, but of course the swap forum may offer some solutions. Finding collectors in the field who collect certain forms often have old parts too.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote