View Single Post
Old 29th October 2013, 06:10 AM   #24
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Jean, as I wrote in my response to Rasdan:- "we are dealing with convention, not actuality"

All keris must have an odd number of luk, whether they actually have that odd number of luk, or not, so where there is no luk the convention demands that we add a luk.

Whether luk are counted by the way I proposed as being used in early Jawa, or whether they are counted by the way that is used now, the only difference is that the number of luk will vary by two.

Forgive me, Alan, but that does not make much sense to me. If the keris has an odd number of luk, it has the odd number of luk. And if the even number, - then the even.

If I have 2 legs, I have 2 legs. If I lose one, no convention would prove that I am not a handicapped person. One cannot state the desired outcome and then manipulate the data.

This "convention" sounds a lot like Marx Brothers : " Who do you believe, me or your own cheating eyes?"

Also, isn't it true, that if your method is correct, any keris with an even number of luk by the "old convention" will still have an even number? 12-2 =10, after all.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote