View Single Post
Old 18th April 2006, 06:25 PM   #14
Mark

Thumbs up

Dan Wilke, in his interview with Khun Nattapat (Director of the Research Center for the Thai Nation Museum, and senior weapons curator), learned that the mak is a Lop Buri period Thai weapon (11th-13th C). I have posted in a few places a picture of a section of a relief at Angkor Wat, in Cambodia, showing these being used as cavalry weapons. This relief is either 12th century, or 14th-15th century based on 12th century style books. In either case it is likely to have been made by Thai artists.

In form it seems to have been both a weapon and a tool, but clearly there are examples that were made exclusively for use as weapons.

Copper blade - never seen one, either. The existance of copper-bladed kiem shows the idea was in circulation at least in the Eastern region. I have to agree that a copper blade (no matter how hardened) would not stand up to serious wear as either weapon or tool, which makes it unlikely that this was intended for either. Unless it is really really ancient, as in Bronze Age, I can't see why someone would chose copper to make a "user" blade, since iron and/or steel were hardly rarities in the region. I vote for status symbol or ritual use (casting out demons, breaking spells, whatever).

In Burma the "Invulnerables," elite warriors believed to be magically protected from their enemies, inserted pieces of metal and precious stones under the skin for their talismanic protection (in addition to have special tattoos). Snodgrass, in his 1826 "Narrative of the Burmese War," writes
Quote:
They are distinguished by the short cut of their hair, and the peculiar manner in which they are tattooed, having the figures of elephants, tigers, and a great variety of ferocious animals indelibley, and even beautifully, marked upon their arms and legs; but to the soldier they were best known by having bits of gold, silver, and sometimes precious stones in their arms, probably introduced under the skin at an early age.
So, at least as far as was known to the British around the turn of the 19th century, gold and silver, but not copper or brass, were considered talismanic.
I would have to go back and check another source that discusses the use of talismans in Thailand to see if copper was one of them. The question of its significance had been discussed in connection with those little copper and brass inserts commonly seen on the spines of Thai daab & some Burmese dha, and as I recall the sources I have were not clear on copper in particular.

The brightness of the edge on this mak is interesting. It makes it look like it was used at least somewhat for cutting. What do you think about the added plate on the handle? Protection of the wood, or decoration?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote