View Single Post
Old 25th August 2021, 09:47 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

You only posted two of them and the details of the photos are not that clear, but my initial feeling about both of these is that they are indeed modern era (kamardikan) keris.
The keris sajen is always a difficult one to judge age on as the form has not changed much over the centuries and the form is always somewhat rough so it is harder to use details and quality of forging as a guide. However, the depiction of the figure on the hilt is not just simplistic and would be expected, but a bit cartoonish.
I can't tell too much about the age of the other keris from these photos, but suspect it is a newer blade. It doesn't seem to be too badly executed, though the quality of the carving is difficult to see. And it does have a more complex and desirable pamor pattern. Usually a keris will be carved like this preparing it to receive kinatah (gold decoration), but i don't see any evidence any was ever applied. The Yogyakarta gayaman dress does seems to be older though and of a decent quality and it appears to be an older mendak. You will have to check the inside of the opening in the sheath to see if the dark wood shown on the outside of the sheath extends all the way through the to the inside. Often they will fake pelet wood by painting or dying the outside, but if it extends through it is real pelet and that is a desirable trait. The reprousse work on the pendok also looks fairly good.
David is offline   Reply With Quote