View Single Post
Old 9th October 2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I am not familiar with this retailer, however I wanted to note that in about this time period, another instance of numbers stamped on the blade spine. I have a Reeves M1821 light cavalry sabre stamped with Reeves name and the number 111 in bold numbers. It has been some time since I have seen the sword, but these stamps are in the usual location near the forte on blade spine. I always thought this might be unit numbers perhaps for contract for specific number of swords. As the M1821 had a lag in production from 1821 to 1829 I thought perhaps this one might have been an interim run production. I cannot recall details on that research but seemed worthy of note. I have not seen other makers adding numbers to thier name stamp, nor for that matter numbered blades (other obviously than Wilkinson who applied this practice later in around late 1850s? and onky on officers swords).

Reeves was a high profile and innovative maker who produced the patent tang used on the M1853 cavalry sabre, the first that universally was designed for both light and heavy cavalry in English swords.

Im not sure how this might apply to the number here, but as always look forward to other views and suggestions.

Hi mate,

I was wondering if the number on the spine in this case was just an inventory number for the retailers records.
I was hoping that somewhere these records might still exist and have coresponding names of buyers attached.....
Seems increasingly unlikely.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote