View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:12 AM   #8
spiral

Cheers Gene took it up to a friend today who dropped a deactivated .303 into it for me, it just caught on the rim {so diameter or the fat part of tube must be about 13.5 } but I dont think thats what it was made for.

In a bandolier the base of cartridge would need to be able to be grasped I think. So someting bigger than a .303 it seems.

Thanks Stuart, theres enough variation in the sizes or how deep the rounds should sit that without someone dropping exactly the right round into it I think it would be hard to be sure. Interesting though that it could also hold powder dispensers! Thank you much though.

Great input Michael! I am a more than a little surprised though! I thought the small soldered balls & fretwork in this style were certanly classical Arab tribal or possibly even Yemeni or beduin work silver work? But as I said not realy my field, gos to show a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

Ive handled much pre. ww2 silver work years ago mostly from Burma but some Thai, {Siam then of course..} & cant see any connection?

The lack of an obvious plant or animal symbolism in such hand made piece strikes me as very Muslim? {Although perhaps the symbols on the buckle might represent some creature in a very base form.}

Something of a mystery so far it seems! mmmmmmmm Interesting!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote