View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Thanks for the interest Barry. I cannot be sure what the writing says. It could be bad spelling, a version of how a name sounds or a regional name, anything really. Just because it looks like a Taiaha does not mean it is a Maori weapon. The balance is very good held above the spear point ball so to speak. It is very easy to swing in a fast manner one handed for such a long club. I show it with a similar form but very different wood sword club. You have to hold the sword club at the spear point part, also has a midrib where as the new item is a flat paddle form. I also show it next to a New Britain club needing both hands to control to show you just how substancial it is. I have been looking into Moari weapons but all the example of long clubs of varrious form I have found are all fine examples with carving. I doubt it is a tourist Taiaha as it is plain and has seen much wear. There is a possibility that it could be from the Chatham Islands? where the work on weapons is far less refined.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 3rd August 2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Spelling Spelling
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote