View Single Post
Old 25th November 2013, 01:18 PM   #15
AhmedH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf
I have never been clear about the difference between damascus steel , as in gun barrels where the distinctive pattern emerges from bars of iron of different carbon content which are twisted and forged together, and wootz or crucible steel where the implication is that the pattern is somehow inheirent in the structure of the steel itself . And having read the Anne Feurbach piece I am not any clearer . Surely the differing carbon content of the steel depends on local conditions in the crucible when organic matter is added in order to increase the carbon content of the steel . But I cant see how this results in any pattern , other than that the resulting lump may have odd mixtures of metal of differing carbon content. Surely the patterning only emerges subsequently when the lump is beaten, folded or twisted in order to consolidate the steel and any diserneble pattern is the result of this initial forging. Exported as a ingot for the production of a sword blade one can see how this patterning is passed on to the blade , but also how a more regular , more controlled pattern can also emerge from the way the steel is intentionally manipulated while the blade is forged. Im sure others like me would appreciate some expert clarification.

There seem to be some ingots of suposedly old wootz steel around at the moment . Described as Indo Persian , in the form of fairly regular balls about 20 centimeters diameter and about 1 kilo weight. It would be interesting to section one and etch to see how any pattern , if it exists at all , compares with finished blades . Can't post any images as these are currently for sale.
I believe that you may find this article also somewhat important:

http://materials.iisc.ernet.in/~woot...tage/WOOTZ.htm
AhmedH is offline   Reply With Quote