View Single Post
Old 28th May 2017, 06:45 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdan
You're most welcome Laowang. I am planning to go there soon!

David, I think with Laowang explanation on the way the collections. Also, I guess the machete are used to generalised the wide range of chopping weapons type in Borneo. The word machate probably simplify their inventory categories. But, yes, for web publishing it's better to have a slightly detailed name.
Yes, Laowang is correct that when you open up the description correct names seem to be used for the various weapons.
I still think these weapons could have been photographed better for our viewing. Unfortunately it is not something museums in general seem to be very good at so i am not particularly calling just this museum to task. I do understand not taking up too much data space so i can see why files would be relatively small and there might not be any detail shots. However, if you are going to present just one image of a keris it would be best done with the keris out of the sheath pointed upwards and positioned next to the sheath and shot from directly from above so that the most realistic rendering of proportion and shape can be read in the photo. Unfortunately many of the keris they have photographed don't even reveal the blade at all.
David is offline   Reply With Quote