View Single Post
Old 16th February 2019, 03:24 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
Here I post fotos of two Esterhazy sabres of the French Esterhazy Husard Regiment. May be you like them. Both belonged to my collection but are sold meanwhile.
Regards
corrado26

Corrado, thank you so much for showing these absolutely fantastic sabres! While it must have been hard letting them go, I am so grateful you have kept such great pictures of them, thus we can still learn from them.

The first one is flamboyantly wonderful, much in the hussar spirit, and what is most intriguing is the rayskin grip and menuki (decoration mid grip) reflecting the Oriental influences popular in Eastern Europe in 18th c. The carry rings are of most unusual form as well.
What is key here is the domed pommel I was seeking for comparison. It is not quite the 'Phrygian helmet' vestige that developed later and became known on many French sabres in the 19th c. but still distinctive.

The second sabre is also amazing and though relatively simple in its rudimentary character reflects the panache of the hussar in its likeness to the well known sabres used by them. It notably has the flat pommel which seemed to prevail in East European cavalry sabres.

Thank you again for showing us these beautiful examples!

Best regards
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote