View Single Post
Old 5th June 2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Timo Nieminen

Hafts: From late Ming literature, a number of woods were used, such as 檕條木 (ji wood), 牛觔木 (cow pound/catty/jin wood), 茶條木 (tea wood), 米枯木 (rice dried-out wood), 柘條木 (zhe wood; some thorny tree?), 白蠟條木 (white wax wood) and 竹 (bamboo). What the English names for most are, I don't know. Bamboo was common for military spears. But more brittle. This is from 長鎗法選, so you have seen this info before. Perhaps another reader can identify the woods?

AFAIK, rattan was used, too (at least in more recent times). Laminated bamboo, or bamboo/wood composites have been used from the Bronze Age until the 18th century or later.

The haft should taper towards the tip. Using a sapling or bamboo (or rattan) will give you a tapered haft automatically.

Tibetan spears were often wrapped with an iron spiral. I've not seen Chinese examples like this (including in art). Some composite spears had their hafts wrapped with silk thread and lacquered (both Bronze Age and recent).

Note that both bamboo and waxwood were used. Just use a thick enough waxwood, and it won't be wushu-flexible. Waxwood should be an excellent wood for a spear haft.

Buttspikes: From art, these seem common enough.

Length: 7-8' is a good length for a personal spear. 6' haft + head is OK. Military spears are often longer.

Heads: Qing art usually shows simple diamond heads on military spears. I will look again when I can to look for butts and tassels.

The basic Chinese heads one sees often, including those sold as "Revolutionary War pikes", look like a common mid-late 19th century head.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote