Thread: Why Post?
View Single Post
Old 25th June 2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Atlantia

This is an interesting point.
Now obviously there are different 'layers' to the posts and threads on this site, there are the academic study of the high end pieces, which is great and for many of us it's nice to dream....
But then there are also the 'masses' myself included who range from those literally just starting out, general collectors, people who want information on a 'single piece' etc...
Speaking for myself, if I post a picture of a new item I've acquired, I want lots of comments! Yes I hope that amongst the replys someone like Jim will post, as his posts are always overflowing with facts, ideas, and enthusiasm for the field. But I do also realise that we can't always expect the scholarly members to reply in every thread and although I consider those members to be the 'cornerstones' of the site, I'd like to think that the rest of 'us' are the mortar that holds it all together.
Collecting shouldn't be a solitary pursuit, sharing a find with ones friends is an important part of it for me.
I for one, am far happier to get a few short replys to a post from my friends on these forums congratulating me for adding to my collection in these hard times, than when I post and see hundreds of views and nobody bothers to even say 'nice find mate'.
By the same token, I hope that when I can't add anything more than my enthusiasm and congratulations to a thread but still want to show solidarity with one of you, I hope you are not offended or thinking 'spam'.
IMHO there are no bad posts that are well intentioned. The only sad thing is seeing a '0' under replies.

Regards
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote